Resources for Health Professionals
Genetics Information for Health Professionals
The Human Genetics Society of Australasia has links to information within their resources for Health Professionals page on:
The Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia Genetic Tests and Laboratories Website contains a comprehensive listing of all genes from the Human Gene Nomenclature Committee (HGNC) database alongside laboratories and tests available in the country.
The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP) has various publications on genetics:
- Genomics in general practice (2018) consists of short, practical summaries with key information that a GP might need to manage common genetic conditions and issues of testing in primary care.
- Genetics in General Practice (2014) is an article outlining the common genetic issues that arise in general practice clinical consultations.
- Genetics of obesity (2017), the objectives of this article are to review recent genetic discoveries about the basis of human obesity; describe familial or syndromic obesity, which is rare but presents early and should, if suspected, be referred for full specialist diagnosis of the underlying genetic disorder; and summarise immediate implications for general practice.
- Advances in genomic testing (2017) outlines recent advances in genetic and genomic testing and the implications for clinical practice.
- Chapter two within the Guidelines for preventive activities in general practice 9th edition (The Red Book), has information for GPs on genetic counselling and testing.
The Centre for Genetics Education – is managed by the New South Wales government and provides up-to-date information about genetics in health. They provide extensive information and education for GPs and other health professionals. This includes information on; Referring to Genetics Services, Genetics in General Practice, Cancer, Pregnancy and Prenatal Testing, Policies and Clinical Guidelines, Learning Opportunities for Health Professionals, Newborn Screening and Pharmacogenomics.
GeneReviews – is a point-of-care resource for clinicians that contains clinically relevant and medically actionable information on the diagnosis, management, and genetic counselling of patients and families with specific inherited conditions.
The RACGP has developed an eLearning resource, Clinical Genomics for Physicians. This resource aims to introduce Australasian medical specialists to genomics and help them appropriately:
- Discuss genomics with patients and their families
- Refer patients for genomic testing
- Be involved in genomics’ broader integration into healthcare
Please note, to enrol in the course, you will need to register and log in. Registration is free.
Genetics Information for Patients
The Centre for Genetics Education (NSW) has information for consumers on:
Additional information can be found within our Clinical Resources section